Between 1949 and 1951, all three burial grounds were cleared by the council.
Some monument pieces were placed around the perimiter of the site, but most were removed completely. The photographs below illustrate the scale of change; the first was taken by local historian Robert Gregory around 1950 and the second (by Bob Young) shows this location as it is today. (In the background, the arched entranceway from Church Street can be seen in both images)
This third image – again by Robert Gregory – shows the work in progress. This is now the central part of the childrens playground. The handsome box tomb in the background remains in place adjacent to the sandpit.