St Nicholas Gardens are the burial grounds which surround the ancient mother church of Brighton St Nicholas. A site of pre christian importance, a church has been present since at least the 11th century. The Hanover Chapel site (know Brighthelm Gardens) is further historic Brighton ground – used as a burial space since the 1700’s
These gardens formed the main burial grounds for Brighton residents until the 1850’s, when the substantial parish and private cemeteries opened at Brighton Lewes Road
The three sites at St Nicholas offer a tangible archive and social history of Brighton during the Regency and Victorian period, however the details and stories of many of those interred at the sites have been lost over the ages.
In recent years effort has been made to rediscover the detail of those remembered and the tales which accompany them. The Brighton Mortiquarian will log and publish this detail.